Friendly reminders on salt and sand use:
- Sand provides traction, does not melt snow and ice
- Mechanical removal snow is the best way to avoid icy build-ups (salt NOT effective with 3 inches of snow accumulation)
- Do not apply salt/sand mix. Use salt and salt separately as necessary, depending on condition
- Salt needs TIME to work (at 15F, one pound of salt needs 60 mins to melt 6 lbs of ice)
- Apply sand in extreme cold when salt is ineffective.
- Salt (Sodium Chloride) is only effective at or above 15F
- Store salt and sand in a covered container indoors.
- When applying salt, go for the pattern below:
*General rule of thumb for salt use: 1 pound of salt fits into a 12 oz coffee mug and is enough to cover 60-70 feet of sidewalk or 20 feet of driveway. You can always add more salt if needed*
For more info, visit https://www.wisaltwise.com/.
Have a safe and happy winter!